Author's BLOG on great reads by other authors, as well as my books
1.Ta-Nehisi Coates' We Were Eight Years in Power
2. Otessa Moshfegh's novel Eileen
3. Nancy Dafoe's mystery You Enter a Room
4. Dafoe's new mystery Both End in Speculation
5. Jacob Appel's book of short stories Scouting for the Reaper
6. Seth Rogoff's First, the Raven, A Preface
7. Tony Horwitz's Confederates in the Attic, Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War
8. Karen Pastorello's and Susan Goodier'sWomen Will Vote
9. Karen Foresti Hempson's Bean Pickers, American Immigrant Portraits
1. Nobel Prize winner, Orhan Pamuk's A Strangeness in My Mind
2. Nathan Hill's novel The Nix.
3. William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. Read and re-read. Always worth going back to his incredible work.
4. Frank Wilczek nonfiction A Beautiful Question
Sharing your stories and words:
"Nancy, I wept my way through your wonderful book. There were tears of overwhelming sadness at what this thief, dementia, has stolen from our moms and our families. Tears of forgiveness for myself and my sister for all our mistakes in dealing with our mother and this horrific disease. Tears of forgiveness for our mother for the way she treated us at times in her illness. Tears of forgiveness for words spoken from well meaning people. There was so much we didn't know and so much we knew and overlooked or explained away. New prescription eyeglasses found months later in the freezer, a burned microwave, scraped paint on her car, a run in with a Jaguar, uncontrolled anger and meanness, inability to understand instructions, medication found on the floor, confusion, etc. Thank you for writing Iceberg in Paradise. I found healing in my sadness while reading it. God give me the strength for what is yet to come from this illness.
Sincerely, Diane Irwin"
"Message: I just finished your book. My husband and I have been going thru the alzheimer's process with my mother....for a very long time - however, the last few months have been horrid. I just wanted to tell you how much I connected to your experiences...my book is tagged on probably half the pages in your book because it hit home. I read some of the excerpts to my husband and he responded....no wonder you loved the book! I have read so many books on this insidious disease and caregiving, etc - there is only a handful that were worth keeping....yours is one.
Thank you!!!!/Lynn Robinson"
Search By Tags