Author's BLOG on great reads by other authors, as well as my books.
Caveat: I won't write a review if I don't endorse a book. If you ask and I don't find it worthy, I will simply decline. I never disparage other authors' work in print.
1. E. C. Osondu's Alien Stories
2. Carolyn Wright's This Dream the World and Masquerade
3. Rachel Dickinson's American Dynasties
4. Michael Gorra's The Saddest Words
5. Natalie Diaz's poetry book Postcolonial Love Poem
6. Nehisi Coates' We Were Eight Years in Power
7. Otessa Moshfegh's novel Eileen
8. Nancy Dafoe's memoir Unstuck in Time
9. Dafoe's mystery Murder on Ponte Vecchio
10. Jacob Appel's short stories Scouting for the Reaper
11. Seth Rogoff's First, the Raven, A Preface
12. Tony Horwitz's Confederates in the Attic, Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War
13. Karen Pastorello's and Susan Goodier'sWomen Will Vote
14. Karen Foresti Hempson's Bean Pickers, American Immigrant Portraits
15. Azar Naisi's The Republic of Imagination: America in Three Books
16. Robert Hass' Summer Snow (new poetry by Pulitzer Prize winner)
1. Nobel Prize winner, Orhan Pamuk's A Strangeness in My Mind
2. Nathan Hill's novel The Nix.
3. William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. Read and re-read.
4. Frank Wilczek nonfiction A Beautiful Question
5. Northrup Frye's Fearful Symmetry
Sharing your stories and words:
"Nancy, I wept my way through your wonderful book. There were tears of overwhelming sadness at what this thief, dementia, has stolen from our moms and our families. Tears of forgiveness for myself and my sister for all our mistakes in dealing with our mother and this horrific disease. Tears of forgiveness for our mother for the way she treated us at times in her illness. Tears of forgiveness for words spoken from well meaning people. There was so much we didn't know and so much we knew and overlooked or explained away. New prescription eyeglasses found months later in the freezer, a burned microwave, scraped paint on her car, a run in with a Jaguar, uncontrolled anger and meanness, inability to understand instructions, medication found on the floor, confusion, etc. Thank you for writing Iceberg in Paradise. I found healing in my sadness while reading it. God give me the strength for what is yet to come from this illness.